Old poll

Zofz
Site Admin

Old poll

Post by Zofz »

green - done
yellow - done?
19.2% (14) Multi-Platform support (Linux, OS X)
17.8% (13) Windows GUI UI
11.0% ( 8) Internal layers STEP export

9.6% ( 7) Multi-select of nets (like diff pair) and components
9.6% ( 7) BOM debug and allow multiple BOM files for different population options
6.8% ( 5) Texturing component models - display names on components
6.8% ( 5) Custom Library Builder
5.5% ( 4) Optional STEP export with Image overlay: Silkscreen, Soldermask, Coper as Image overlay to reduce File-Size for better CAD-Performance in some CAD-Software
5.5% ( 4) Include STEP export of Solder Mask
2.7% ( 2) Custom Libary Builder with STEP import
2.8% ( 2) Please linux ;)
1.4% ( 1) BoardOutline frame removal - ignore most outer line loop.
1.4% ( 1) Support IDF file reading.
Zofz
Site Admin

on some topics

Post by Zofz »

Multi-Platform support or Linux: This is too complex and too late - it would take a year or so.
Multi-select: We can select two nets or two tracks. Tell me the reason for selecting more?
What is the reason to do multi-select of components?
Can the STEP file include decals images?
-Tom-Tom-

Re: Old poll

Post by -Tom-Tom- »

What is the reason to do multi-select of components?
This will help me save a lot of time:
For example: Power inductors or film capacitors: I currently have to enter all dimensions. Usually I have several of them on the circuit board. It would be nice if I could select all components with [STRG] and change them all at the same time.
-Tom-Tom-

Post by -Tom-Tom- »

Optional STEP export with Image overlay: Silkscreen, Soldermask, Coper as Image overlay to reduce File-Size for better CAD-Performance in some CAD-Software
This point is mine.

Problem
FileSize.JPG
FileSize.JPG (144.82 KiB) Viewed 12242 times
The exportet step files are extremply huge. At the moment i only found one CAD software that works good with this large files: Fusion360.
Other (Solid Edge, ... ) have performance-problems or can't open so large files

Conclusion
well, I actually thought I'd seen an embedded image in a step before. I informed myself again. It looks like it's not possible after all.
I currently have no idea how to optimize the file size.
Zofz
Site Admin

Post by Zofz »

-Tom-Tom- wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:15 am
Optional STEP export with Image overlay: Silkscreen, Soldermask, Coper as Image overlay to reduce File-Size for better CAD-Performance in some CAD-Software
This point is mine.

Problem
FileSize.JPG
The exportet step files are extremply huge. At the moment i only found one CAD software that works good with this large files: Fusion360.
Other (Solid Edge, ... ) have performance-problems or can't open so large files

Conclusion
well, I actually thought I'd seen an embedded image in a step before. I informed myself again. It looks like it's not possible after all.
I currently have no idea how to optimize the file size.
I assume this is Eagle. I have an observation about Eagle Gerber output when switching units between millimeters and inches. The millimeter version files are much bigger than the inch versions. I guess, the millimeter version is more fragmented. (Arcs?) This causes much more data in the STEP file too. It is also causing more work to the flattening section of the program.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Zofz
Site Admin

Post by Zofz »

Zofz wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:22 pm 19.2% (14) Multi-Platform support (Linux, OS X)
2.8% ( 2) Please linux ;)
There is the current website usage share of operating systems. Of course, it is biassed by the existing users, but not more than twice.