Installation and usage under Wine?

xobs

Installation and usage under Wine?

Post by xobs »

I've been exploring non-Windows platforms lately -- namely Mac and Linux -- and would love to be able to use Zofzpcb there. However, I've been experiencing issues actually running it.

The good news is that the issues are consistent across Mac and Linux, and I've managed to replicate it under WSL2 on Windows. Consistency is nice. I'm using Vulkan (via DXVK) as a rendering engine, which means I should have full D3D support.

When I use the installer on the Mac, it complains that "An error occurred". It doesn't say what the error is, but given that it only happens on the Mac I'm inclined to say it's an issue with 32- vs 64-bit support in some sub-program the installer runs. The installer works fine on WSL2, where it successfully installs the program.

The issue appears when running the program. On Linux and Mac I get a popup window that says "m-error", along with a black window. This happens both with the installed version as well as the portable version.

What is "m-error"? Is there any way to get more information as to what it's doing? Has anyone succeeded in running Zofzpcb under Wine?
Zofz
Site Admin

Re: Installation and usage under Wine?

Post by Zofz »

The program checks the multi-language UI DLLs for corruption. And that is not working. Maybe some system DLL is not there, something related to calculating file hash or signature. (Probably, I have been overdoing this a bit.)

My Ubuntu is too old to be used for testing, but I will be doing another project based on Linux (the newest Ubuntu LTS) soon. This will be an opportunity to test zofzpcb and refresh my friendship with the OS and the Great Wine.

There is something quite amazing in the new Arm-based Mac, a system (Rosetta?) recompiling Windows software - more than Wine. ZofzPCB works there - I am very impressed with the quality of this emulator. See: this topic
xobs

Post by xobs »

Well if you're not averse to it, I can look closer. Wine and friends really are magical, and performance isn't bad at all. There's a high-performance 3D game I run under Wine with emulation, and it actually performs better than my Windows laptop.

I think there are two problems:

1. For some reason it can't tell how to localise the program, so all strings are blank. I don't see it trying to load any extra i18n files, and I've tried to copy all relevant registry keys from my real Windows machine into the Wine VM, but it doesn't work yet. The first attached image is what I see.

2. I believe you're correct in that the key check is tripping up Wine. After clicking "OK" in the image, I see the following in my console and it opens a link to ".../GetLicense". I see the same box if I click the button on the left, which I seem to recall is "Enter License Key" or something to that effect. I believe (though am not entirely certain) that it's trying to compute something using Chacha20 Poly1305 but Wine somehow is missing it.

Code: Select all

0160:fixme:secur32:get_cipher_algid unknown algorithm 23
0160:fixme:secur32:get_mac_algid unknown algorithm 200, cipher 23
0160:fixme:secur32:get_cipher_algid unknown algorithm 23
0160:fixme:secur32:get_mac_algid unknown algorithm 200, cipher 23
I've submitted a bug report with Wine, and we'll see what they say.
xobs

Post by xobs »

Oh, the forum software ate my attachments. Re-added them.
Attachments
probably-cannot-reach-server.png
probably-cannot-reach-server.png (10.66 KiB) Viewed 3746 times
look-ma-no-strings.png
look-ma-no-strings.png (12.91 KiB) Viewed 3746 times
xobs

Post by xobs »

I should note that in order to get this far, I patched the program to remove a check. The function in question appears to be where it's populating the right-click menu and it's checking to see whether it should select "mil" or "mm". It tries to check either "mil" or "mm", but fails for some reason.

Perhaps it's comparing the values by string, and because localization is completely missing it can't check the appropriate radio item and it gives up?